Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Wall-E project (body CAD second step)

Since my last post I've been CAD-ing my way through the body of our Wall-E project. I am quite pleased with the amount of progress I've been able to make in the after-hours of the evening.. despite work, side-work, kid-work, and my role as full-time musician and maid.

In any event.. There are several things I 'fixed' in my model - including separating the parts to be printed by color, so that I have to do less painting. And I also thought through the screw mounts a bit more in detail. I feel my design will be stronger.

Also, the Neck mount has room for three 626zz bearings, with M6 screws as axels. I will also be hollowing the inside of the Neck mount for better cable management. I was not happy with the way this was handled in the inspirational model.. and also, some portions of that model just were not as they are in the movie - so, naturally I had to fix those pieces.

Rear Right Upper View:

 Front Right Upper View:
Front View with door and electronics panel hidden:
The only thing I'm really not pleased with are the proportions of the electronics panel in the front view. I had to mount the 1.8" LCD sideways, because it would not fit?! Due to the PCB mounts being larger than the actual panel itself.. so, I scaled the recessed vent holes on the right side to about 35% while the LCD is 65%. Of course, if you look at screen shots from the movie, it's actually 50/50.. but oh well. We can't make everything perfect..

I suppose I could scale the entire body by 20-30mm.. but there are a ton of extrusion operations to fix if I do that change.. and I'm just not THAT motivated. Maybe in version 2 I keep thinking.. (?) - when I have to scale the body anyway to fit retractable wheels, anyway.

Or who knows.. I may get the motivation pretty soon.. even thought there are lot of sketches to change to propagate +20mm into the height of that panel. It's a pain to think about.. but I probably could knock it out in a few hours if I really wanted to, as most of the extrusions are referencing other faces or vertices rather than hard measurements.

So, more to come..

No comments:

Post a Comment