Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Lidar - printing design without support material

For having zero mechanical degree, I can't really complain with the utility at which I've applied my art degree from a former career. There is a certain part of the manufacturing process which relies on general aesthetics and functionality in order to design something that looks like it will work. 

I have separated the spinning assembly into 5 components now. And the fact that I don't even have to use support material anymore means that the prints are looking great. 



Shortly after my last post I redesigned every piece of the top assembly to print on a flat surface. I have a strange attraction to components with tabs... there's something surprisingly satisfying about your 3D printed part just snapping together just moments after it is off the print bed.



The encoder wheel has a groove in the bottom with a few mounting tab slots (above in green color). The encoder ring that isolates the two optical detectors, just slides right into the bottom of the part. It will need a few small epoxy beads on the above tab insides. And the rest is smooth printing all around.



Next tasks:

  • Design motor mount
  • Design motor shaft coupling pulley
  • Modify existing lidar base to accomodate motor mount
  • Print and start coding

No comments:

Post a Comment